DIGBY IS TOP DOG
By Matt D’Arcy
More than 150 people—and 54 dogs!—attended the first-ever Costa Vicentina Fun Dog Show held at Vales, Aljezur on the Algarve’s West Coast last weekend.
And the event, held at Churrasqueira Mendes in aid of local animal charity AEZA, was such a success the organisers pledged to repeat it next spring.
People came from as far away as Albufeira to enter their dogs into the show, competing in 15 classes, with local entrant, Digby, a Goldens De Santo Quintino (Golden Retriever), winning the prestigious “Best In Show” award.
It completed a hat-trick of triumphs for Digby and owners Jan and Ken Cragg, after he won the won the cherished “Best in Show” award at the 2013 International Algarve Fair in Lagoa, when he was just 11 months old.
Two weeks ago at a National Dog Show in Montijo he walked away with first prize in the Open Class.
And in Saturday’s Costa Vicentina show he first won the Best Movement (Trotting) class, then the Pedigree Dog class before scooping the show’s top award.
So, even though Digby isn’t exactly “The Biggest Dog In The World” after his movie namesake, he’s certainly making big headlines in this part of the world!
The show was designated as a “Fun” dog show and Regina Zimmermann entered into the spirit of things by having some imaginative face paint applied to win the “Dog Most Like Its Owner Class” with her pet Angelina.
Show organiser Wendy Smith said afterwards: “The whole aim of the event organised by ‘Friends Of AEZA’ was to raise awareness for the local animal shelter in Aljezur, which is run by our local animal charity AEZA, (Associação Ecologista e Zoófila de Aljezur or Association for Environment and Animal Protection of Aljezur) and to help raise some much needed money which we managed to do in what was a very successful day.
“The 54 dogs entered in various classes were all winners in my eyes. It was wonderful to see people coming from as far as Albufeira to enter their dogs, and there was also a great mix of nationalities.
“All the volunteers helping to make it run like clockwork deserve a massive thank you—a pat on the back to everyone.
“We also owe a huge thank-you to people who donated cakes, sausage rolls and lots more, and to Bob and Sue for manning the BBQ all day.
“Lots of pennies were raised to help Kerry Gross and all the volunteers to make life better for the dogs and cats at Aeza Canil in Aljezur.
“WELL DONE EVERYONE…and we’re now looking forward to next spring!
“We were asked by so many people if we were going to repeat it next year and as it went so well the answer is a resounding ‘yes’!”
* * * *
Classes and first place results
- BEST AEZA RESCUE ~ DOG: RIO OWNED BY MARGARET GRAY
- BEST AEZA RESCUE ~ BITCH CARA OWNED BY PAUL BECKWITH
- VETERAN DOG OR BITCH ~ 8+ YEARS OLD ~ JOHN OWNED BY SILVIA DOMINGOS
- WAGGIEST TAIL ~ SUATI OWNED BY JAN & KEN CRAGG
- MOST PRETTY BITCH ~ HOLLY OWNED BY JACKIE HONE
- MOST HANDSOME DOG ~ SCRUFF OWNED BY JACKIE HONE
- BEST CONDITION COAT ~ AIKA OWNED BY CATHERINE & ALAN SMITH
- BEST TRICK ~ SAM OWNED BY M. GOBBY
- BEST MOVEMENT (TROTTING) ~ DIGBY OWNED BY JAN CRAGG
- ONE MINUTE SIT AND STAY ~ RUBY OWNED BY BRENDA DOWNIE
- DOG MOST LIKE OWNER ~ ANGELINA OWNED BY REGINA
- PEDIGREE DOG ~ DIGBY OWNED BY JAN CRAGG
- PEDIGREE BITCH ~ DOCA OWNED BY PHILL DREW
- PUPPY UNDER 1 YEAR ~ DOG OR BITCH ~ AMBER OWNED BY JACQUIE FIALHO
- AGILITY COMPETITION ~ FIG OWNED BY GAIL SKINNER BURGESS